Mar 28, 2012

Mock Half-cut Technique




One of the things I love about the website Pinterest is that you can get some new creative ideas on just about any topic. Well, of course a topic near and dear to my heart is card making. Therefore, each and every time I log onto the site, my eyes just take in tons of new papers, color combinations, ways to use my Cricut, etc. Tonight I wanted to attempt to create something similar to a card I'd seen on there. I want to be sure to give credit to the original creator so here is the link to her site based on the link I found on Pinterest ~ http://debbiesdesignsblog.blogspot.co.nz/2010/04/half-cut-die-tutorial.html. She called her technique a half-cut-die-tutorial, but I did not use a die, therefore, I am not sure what to call this technique. However, I am willing to attempt to share my try at recreating the results.

Her tutorial was teaching about how to cut out only half of a die, using a die cutting machine. Well, I don't have that die or die cutting machine. Hmmm. What to do, what to do? Do I go out and purchase yet one more thing??? I just did not think that was the answer. Therefore while I went about my business of taking care of my family, visions of that card and how I could create it kept mulling over in my mind. I decided to have a try at it using my Art Philosophy Cartridge.
I first tried logging onto their free site ~ Cricut Craft Room. Once in there, I tried going through each of the tutorials to see if I could cut just half of a shape. No luck. Hmmm. What to do now. I decided to go ahead and cut out the entire shape and see if I could somehow piece it back together to achieve the same look. Tadaa!! Success. While it isn't quite as streamline with just one piece of cardstock, I still think the achieved look is pretty cute. What do you think?

Outside view of card

Inside view of card


Baby boy card


I think they turned out really cute. I cut them out using the square card option on my Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge. The size for the card was 4 inches. I actually did use the online Cricut Craft Room  to help me center the cut out in the middle of the card. It is pretty nifty how you can click and place your cuts exactly where you want them on an online cricut mat, hook up your computer (laptop in my case) to your cricut expression and then hit cut. I don't think I could have centered those cut outs from the center of the cards without using this feature. I then used my scoring tool to score and then fold down the center of the cut out shape.I folded it back how I wanted it and then proceeded to decorate it using paper, stamps and a little embelling (the little 3-d dots) from one of the folders on my Provocraft Cuddlebug.

The baby girl card is created using Chocolate Card Stock cut in the same size (4 inches) with the cut out centered (2 inches using square shape) using the Craft Room again. On the girl card I cut out a square rather than the scalloped circle as I was wanting to match it up with the coordinating stamp set  called New Arrival that I used for that card.  I decorated that card with some of the yellow B&T paper that will be featured in an upcoming CTMH April Special.  This paper packet is called Dotty. You won't want to miss the opportunity to get yourself a pack of it at the great price they are offering it at. Details to follow in April.  I also used some of our Baby Pink Card stock that I had on hand. I cut it out using the same template as the original card  and then ran it through my Cuddlebug to give it the bumpy texture you see. I then glued it down over the Chocolate to create the color scheme shown above. I also proceeded to cut out a few extra 2 1/4  inch squares for that one in the coordinating colors to give it extra support over that cut out portion, as well as add in more colors. I cut out a piece of Colonial white and the yellow Dotty B&T paper just a bit smaller than the card (3 3/4 inch size) to piece together the inside. That way I don't have to write my sentiment on the dark brown cardstock.


The cardstock for the boy paper is Kraft c/s from CTMH. The B/T paper on the boy is some I had on hand (not CTMH, I think it is by Imaginisce). I actually covered up half of the cut out (thereby achieving the look I wanted in the first place) with B&T paper that matches the paper shown on the right side of the cards. I then placed the cut out back in the center (matching it up the best I could). I proceeded to re-enforce the back as well with some more layers of matching Background and Texture Paper.

There  you have it. Time for bed.  If you learned a little something here, feel free to leave me a comment and/or pin my cards to your Pinterest favorites. :-)

New Arrival Stamp Set  (currently retired)


1 comment:

  1. Your cards turned out wonderfully! This card making is so creative ~ I'm so glad I found your blog... it's inspiring me to let out more of my creative side!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!